Image above captured on the upper deck of the layout where scenery has progressed to some extent...
Shot with Olympus C-750

Welcome to the SP Oregon Division!

An N Scale RR depicting the good old days along "The Friendly".

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Kato SDP40F Issues


Was struggling with repetitive stalling on one of my Kabo Kato LokSound units. Found that the OEM pc board that the Kobo installer soldered to, was barely making contact to one half of the frame via the board’s spring tension design, and that was no longer reliable. I ended up having to hardwire the decoder by tapping in a pair of 00-90 screws to fasten my own solder pads, which the power lead wires now connect to. 
The new pair of rectangular brass terminal blocks/solder pads installed:



The final install with black and red power leads soldered to new terminal blocks:





At one time I swore I would never model a passenger train on my layout. Not sure what happened but Amtrak’s Coast Starlight became an obsession over the years. I acquired rolling stock for the train(s) and started a couple kitbashes of this loco, then revisited a number of times over the years, but never followed through on the builds. Needless to say, but these locos look, run, and sound great, so really enjoying both my trains  #11 and 14 now. The only missing car(s) in the trains are the Pullman Standard 44 seat leg rest coaches. Maybe Kato can come through on that one someday too...

No comments:

Post a Comment